Defining strategy and establishing outstanding results
The Netherlands currently counts around 10.000 fast growing companies, almost all facing obstacles when it comes to leadership, strategy, finance, ICT and market positioning. In addition to that most businesses are also confronted with problems concerning succession, take-overs and finding the right business partners.
70 % of family businesses do not survive the first transfer to a new owner
80 % of project managers fail to see the relation between projects and strategy
5 % of management is satisfied about digital transformation
26 % of all managers are under the impression that they determine the organisation culture
the majority fails:
60 % of implementing new technology
70 % of implementing new processes
81 % of cultural change
Boards that lack experience in leading a fast-growing company are confronted on a daily basis with strategic decisions. Decisions that may have serious impact for the future of their company. Command & control management styles are outdated and no longer a fit for fast changing environments. Teamwork and Authorship are a better foundation for a contemporary business. Research shows that successful businesses are often led by experienced managers coming from larger enterprises. Leaders with C-level management experience in complex environments.
What is good leadership?
- A clear course (‘dot on the horizon’) with waypoints (focus!)
- Create a stimulating work environment for all involved
- Capable leadership team that complements each other, leads by example, has an operational focus corrects when necessary
- Is committed to building trust, value creation and continuity
- Sound decision making with checks and balances
- Based on the principles of Good Governance
- Compliance is a hygiene factor
A clear course
- Connect long term horizon with short term goals
- Lay a solid foundation for future growth; in people, processes and (ICT) systems
- Provide a response to a changing environment, including digital challenges
- Uses a formula for scaling up and global growth
- Is reviewed on a regular basis
Stimulating work environment
- An agile organization with an ‘always improve’ mentality
- Challenges people and provides room to grow
- Has the right people in the right place, helps them with their personal development and to maximise their willingness to change.
- Connects technological opportunities with people’s talent, in order to enlarge the companies’ performance power.
- Invests in the growth of people ánd organization
- Discusses (desired) behavior
- Has a culture of continuous learning and improvement, based on factual (management) information (KPI’s)
To all this belongs a governance model that fits the organization’s context as well as a future in which everything is constantly changing